Remote access is connecting a PC at home or on the go to a PC in the office. With the spread of telework, an increasing number of companies are introducing remote access tools.
This time, we will focus on introducing remote access tools that can be started for free, functions that can be used with the free version, and points to note in the free version.
If you are considering introducing a free remote access tool, please refer to it.
Also, please refer to the following article for detailed information on remote access tools.
- What is a remote access tool
- What is a remote access tool
- Remote access tool connection destination
- Benefits of introducing remote access tools
- You can work without going to work
- can reduce costs
- Prevent information leakage
- Basic functions of free remote access tools
- Remote control function
- File send/receive function
- Mail operation function
- Information security function
- Points to note when introducing free remote access tools
- Possibly low security measures
- Even if the number of users is limited
- Free remote access tool selection point
- Are security measures in place?
- Is your OS or device compatible?
- Can it be used without speed problems?
- 6 free remote access tools to start
- Enterpras Std
- DoMobile ASP Service
- Splashtop for CACHATTO Cloud Pack
- Basic IPCC
What is a remote access tool
What is a remote access tool
A remote access tool is a tool that connects a device in a remote location to a PC or network in the company via a network.
If you introduce a remote access tool, you can do internal work on your own PC or smart on even if you are out of the office.
For example, you can send and receive in-house emails and use in-house software on your own PC.
Remote access tool connection destination
There are two main types of connection destinations for remote access tools. They are “server access type” and “client access type”.
Server access type
It is to directly access the server installed in the company from a terminal at home or away from home.
This method is effective when taking out a PC used in the company.
However, it is necessary to take measures to prevent information leaks, as internal data may be saved from terminals on the go or at home.
Client access type
This is a method of directly accessing a desktop PC installed in the company from a remote terminal.
As long as the power of the fixed desktop PC in the company is turned on, the same operation can be performed both inside and outside the company.
Benefits of introducing remote access tools
You can work without going to work
With remote access tools, employees can work from home. As a result, flexible working styles are realized, leading to improved work-life balance for employees.
can reduce costs
If the number of employees working from home increases due to the introduction of remote access tools, costs such as employee transportation expenses and office electricity bills can be reduced.
Cost reductions are expected to improve business performance.
Prevent information leakage
The concern when introducing telework is the risk of information leakage.
However, many remote access tools are well-secured.
When working with remote access, information does not remain on the PC or tablet (remote terminal) at hand, and information remains only on the PC in the company. Therefore, the risk of information leakage can be prevented.
Basic functions of free remote access tools
Remote control function
You can access and operate your own PC in the office from a PC at home or on the go.
File send/receive function
You can send and receive files between a PC at home or on the go and a PC in the office. You can send and receive the files you need for your business, so you don’t have to carry a lot of documents.
Mail operation function
You can view, send and receive emails on your company’s PC from your home or outside PC. If you have a lot of outside work such as sales, you can improve work efficiency and achieve smooth communication inside and outside the company.
Information security function
Equipped with an identity verification function using ID, password, fingerprint authentication, etc., an access history management function that records access history, and an access management function that allows you to set accessible devices.
Points to note when introducing free remote access tools
Possibly low security measures
Free versions of remote access tools may have weak security measures.
If you have both a free version and a paid version, the paid version may have features that enhance security measures.
Even if the number of users is limited
Free versions of remote access tools may limit the number of users.
The free version is often limited to dozens of people, so we recommend using the paid version for companies with a large number of employees, such as large companies.
Free remote access tool selection point
Are security measures in place?
Security is the number one priority when it comes to remote access. Let’s check which remote access tool has which security countermeasure function.
If you do not know the minimum required security measures, please use the following as an index.
- Connection source IP address restrictions
- Allow only VPN connection
- Limit login attempts
- Constant monitoring of event logs
- Introduction of two-factor authentication and multi-factor authentication
Is your OS or device compatible?
Some remote access tools require specific software to be installed, and may only support a specific OS.
Also, if you can use not only PCs but also terminals such as smartphones and tablets, you can use it for jobs that often go out.
Therefore, let’s check if it can be used with the OS and terminal you actually use.
Can it be used without speed problems?
In remote access, you work with the image of remotely controlling the company PC. Since it passes through the network line outside the company, it is more likely to be delayed than accessing the internal server directly from the company.
However, if it takes time to respond or send and receive data during remote access, work efficiency will decrease.
Therefore, let’s check whether you can use it at a constant speed that does not interfere with your work in any access environment.
6 free remote access tools to start
“Enterpras Std” can be easily used by general companies and schools.
In addition, since we have set a reasonable price according to the number of users, it also supports small starts.
- Management costs are reduced because a single “Enterpras” can process authentication requests from wireless APs, VPN servers, authentication VLANs, dial-up servers, etc.
- Easy to use because it is a Japanese management tool
- In addition to enabling fine-grained control for each user, it is also possible to unify authentication control according to the group to which they belong.
- Main unit/Number of registered users: ~100 414,000 yen
- Main unit/Number of registered users: ~300 575,000 yen
- Unit/Number of registered users: ~1000 ¥805,000
- Unit/Number of registered users: ~3000 1,150,000 yen
- Main body/Registered users: ~10000 1,600,000 yen
- Main unit/Number of registered users: ~30000 2,227,000 yen
- Main body/Registered users: ～100000 3,200,000 yen
- Unit/Registered Users: ~300000 4,454,000 Yen
DoMobile ASP Service
“DoMobile” is a remote access tool that allows remote control of company PCs from outside the company.
In addition to connecting from a PC, you can also connect from smart devices such as tablets and smartphones.
- Security is strong because digital certificates are used for authentication and access from terminals without certificates is blocked.
- Easy support for initial setup and updates reduces the burden on system administrators at the time of introduction
- Easy to install because it can be used without changing the existing network environment
- In addition to being able to check the access history and current status of each managed account, you can also perform operations such as suspending access in an emergency.
Splashtop for CACHATTO Cloud Pack
“Splashtop for CACHATTO Cloud Pack” is a tool that provides remote desktop functions in cloud form.
- You can safely use your home PC or personal device, so there is no need to provide a company-provided PC or take your PC home.
- If you have a Windows PC, you can start telework by simply reading the two-dimensional code on your PC with a pre-registered (terminal authentication) smartphone.
- Annual usage fee: 270,000 yen (excluding tax)
- Additional user annual usage fee: 150,000 yen (excluding tax)
“SWANStor” is a secure remote access platform that provides the security functions required when accessing internal business services.
- No complicated network knowledge required for installation
- Choose from a wide range of security options
- It supports various applications regardless of whether it is a web application or a client/server application, and can be used regardless of a communication carrier as long as there is an internet connection.
“Basic IPCC” is software for Windows that can enforce corporate security policies regardless of the usage scene.
- Blocking loopholes to unmanaged networks through the use of personal smartphone tethering can help prevent virus infections, information leaks, and personal use.
- “Basic IPCC” management service that forces all device communication to be used over the network Centralized management of policies for “Basic IPCC Client”
“moconavi” is a telework platform that enables secure access to various internal systems from smart devices.
- Cooperate with many other companies’ services to accelerate business
- EMM (Enterprise Mobility Management), a system that manages mobile devices, clears all security concerns
- Acquired No.1 market share for four consecutive years in the MAM market, a system for managing applications installed on smart devices such as smartphones and tablets.
This time, I mainly explained the introduction of remote access tools that can be started for free, the functions that can be used with the free version, and the notes on the free version.
Note that free remote access tools have limitations on functions and number of users.
Use this article as a guide and choose your free remote access tool carefully.